Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tools of the Trade


Every profession has tools that are essential to doing a good job. When I was a kid, I would use a pair of pliers to remove the bolts on my bicycle. My father would remind me to use the right tool for the right job - then hand me an adjustable wrench.

Ministry has changed in the last 25 years. I remember using a hand cranked mimeograph machine to produce church bulletins. I thought putting transparencies on an overhead projector was high tech and will never forget how excited I was when the evangelistic film strips I used were converted to video tape.

Today we are blessed with a host of technological advances. Blackberries, I-Phones and a host of web-based resources. Recently I was reminded of a couple of tools that I believe would be very helpful to those of you in ministry. My friend Shawn Mathis has developed a social network for ministry entitled, The Minister Group. If you are involved in preaching or ministry of any kind I would encourage you to register and participate in the growth of this effort. Shawn has a great track record of successful ventures and I believe that his too will prove to be a great resource.


In addition, Vista Print is a great resource for small run printed items, business cards, postcards, brochures, etc. I recently joined their resellers program and found that I can help others get great discounts on their printing needs. For more information, you can visit them at:


or you can contact me at trent.wheeler@charter.net


No comments: