Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Faith, Family & the Holidays

I will open this blog by confessing that I went to see the movie, "Four Christmases" this past week. While most of the audience found the movie funny, I found it somewhat disturbing. The general thrust of the movie is that a young couple have to visit four families (because of broken home issues) all on Christmas day.

The families in the movie were all dysfunctional in some significant way. I sat through the movie with a number of troubling thoughts:


  • Is this really the state of affairs in America?
  • How do the issues of divorce and blended families affect my own children?
  • What can we all do to help our children navigate through the holidays and provide a positive experience for them.

Whether your family is "traditional" or otherwise, you have issues that you face during the holidays. It may be struggles over where to spend Christmas and New Years, or simply the battles between siblings once school is out for three weeks.

I have always believed that holidays are a time for faith and family. A time to reflect on the blessings that God has given us and a time to share with one another. It is tragic to think that we often worry about how to navigate through family politics rather than accept the blessings we recieve from God. This year in my quiet time and prayer time I will be praying for the families in our community.

"Father, bless the homes and families in our community. There are parents who are struggling, children who are hurting and so very many in want and need. Be with me as a father and husband to put the needs of my wife and children first. Help me to have an understanding heart and an open mind. Give my children and those around us a deeper understanding of your love and will in their lives. Father as I think of the gifts I can give, I pray that my emphasis is on my example. Help me to give my children a foundation of faith, to my community an example of a godly life and to my wife the love and respect she deserves. Father open my eyes to the needs that are around me. Allow me an opportunity each day to touch the lives of others in some small way."

www.trentwheeler.com

No comments: