Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Making Memories


Wow, just a couple of days until Christmas. Last night a friend posted a note asking about the best Christmas gift I ever received. I tried long and hard to remember the "STUFF" I have received through the years. I am grateful for all of it, but nothing jumped out as my favorite.

As I tried to think back I had a different experience. I remembered events, times shared together, special memories from Christmas. I remember the smell of my mom's chocolate spritz cookies, I remember having water gun fights in the house, I remember Tristan and Alyssa dressing up as pirates just last Christmas day.

I know my family will appreciate the gifts I buy them - they are always good that way. What I really want to give my family for Christmas are memories. I want them to look back and laugh and cry, to remember the fun we shared and memories we made together.

My Atari gaming system has gone the way of the dinosaurs! The skittle bowl set that I couldn't live without entertained me for a couple of months (at best) and even the Legos I played with for years and years have now been outgrown. What will never leave me is the sound of mom's voice on Christmas morning, wrestling in the basement with my brothers and watching sapping Christmas movies over and over again.

Now that all the shopping is over, the hustle and bustle of cleaning, wrapping and preparing is coming to head; stop and make some memories with your children. Take them to Opryland Hotel to see the Christmas lights, rent a funny movie that makes you laugh till you cry, play board games or go for hike around Radnor Lake. Be sure this Christmas to give the gift that will reside in the heart of your family forever.

1 comment:

Dale's Spot said...

that's beautiful Trent...thanks...