Monday, December 15, 2008

AMATEURS



I need to thank my good friend Dale Jenkins for inspiring this post. In a sermon Sunday morning he made reference to an amateur as a person who does something for pleasure rather than profit. While that may no longer be true of the Olympic athlete - it is true of a lot of people in this world. This post is a celebration of those who still play for the love of the game. Those who grab life with all its joys and sorrows and make the world a better place. These are my heroes.

There was the elder who always came by and patted me on the back and told me what a good job I was doing. He always seemed to know when I was feeling down.

There is the husband and wife who used to take me lunch during the darkest days of my life, just to be friends and support me.

There are the ladies who never get public recognition for visiting the sick, carrying meals to the hungry, or sending a card to the bereaved.

There is invisible multitude who daily encourage their children, serve our master on foriegn soil, bear the burdens of brethren, pray for the weak, and engage in limitless good works.

In the past I have heard people say, "Oh, he is just an amateur." We need more amateurs in the kingdom. Today I surrender my professional license! I am looking forward to joining the multitudes who do God's will for the pure joy of service.

No comments: