Wednesday, June 24, 2009

WORDS

This week I was reminded why words are so powerful, destructive, encouraging, and dangerous. Everything we say, type, text or email has multiple contexts. Most of us have heard the illustration about the man who shouts, "YES, I LOVE YOU!" at his wife. His words say one thing, but the context says something completely different.

Twice in the same day I let my words get away with me. In both cases I should have known better. In the first instance I should have picked up the phone because email is cold and impersonal. In the second, the words had hardly passed my lips that I regretted saying them.

Whether it is marriage, a friendship or working relationships we just can't be too careful when it comes to the words we communicate. I recall a few years back when I got a very stern and "matter of fact" email from a business associate. I was deeply concerned that I had offended him and damaged our relationship for years to come. A few days later when I got up the courage to ask about the situation I learned that he wasn't upset, troubled or irritated with me in any way - it simply was sent in the cold, emotionless sphere of the internet.

So, how does context effect our communication? Here are just a few examples:

1. The tone of my voice or my body language may contradict what I am saying. My wife and children assure me that my eyes often betray my words.
2. Emails leave lots of room for interpretation. Rarely is the tone or emotion correctly communicated.
3. The sender may have sent what would have been a harmless email but it followed other correspondence that left the reader wondering. For example, if I am negotiating a difficult situation with a colleague and tensions are high, anything I write will be read in that context.
4. The recipient of the communication may have received it after having a bad day. Have you ever wondered why someone would over-react by a seemingly harmless comment. It was received at a bad time.
5. The recipient of the communication may have heard something similar in another context. If my boss spent all day questioning my work, I may take offense to something as simple as, "Honey, are you going to take the garbage out tonight." What may be intended to be a simple, honest question might be perceived as a criticism after a hard day.

What is the answer? If I never know how I am going to be perceived? If innocent words can be considered harsh criticisms? If a simple request is going to become an unreasonable demand, what am I to do?

* Apologize immediately! Even if you didn't mean to be offensive, a quick and sincere apology goes a long way.
* Don't get defensive! "I didn't mean anything by it. You are just too sensitive. I can't believe you twist my words that way." Those are all sure fire phrases to get you in trouble.
* Reassure the other person. I am sorry my words offended you. I value your friendship and it is not my desire to do any harm. Please forgive me.
* Be sincere and genuine. Comments like, "I am sorry you misjudged my words," or "I'm sorry I can never do anything right around you," are not sincere apologies. They are carefully crafted phrases intended to throw the blame back on the person who is hurt or offended.


These things are always easy (especially when we sincerely meant no harm), but that doesn't change the other person's perspective. We will never craft all our words perfectly, but that is why humility and forgiveness are such precious gifts.

No comments: