Thursday, June 25, 2009

Transformed

This week I was reminded of the words of Paul "to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God for this is your spiritual service. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will" (Romans 12:1, 2).

In the next few days the movie Transformers 2 is probably going to break box office records. I was one of those eager to go see the movie until I overheard a friend mention the strong sexual overtones in the film. Concerned I went to Plugged In only to have my worst fears confirmed. The reviewers had this (and much more) to say about the film, "The first time the Transformers motored into theaters, Plugged In was dismayed by the film's sexual content. This time around, we're appalled." The next seven paragraphs described sexual inuendo, inappropriate dress, suggestive comments and a very open and course attitude towards the entire topic of sex. I understand there is one particularly graphic scene in the movie that is not appropriate for children (of any age).

My point is not to provide a movie review, but to return to Paul's words about "being transformed." Clearly Hollywood's goal is to transform our minds into garbage cans filled with filth and immorality. There is no doubt in my mind that Satan has taken the action thriller of the summer (that every kid wants to see) and has used it to fill their minds with the idea that sex is fun, appealing, appropriate and acceptable - a stark contrast to what Paul tells us in Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."

Plugged In is a great website for reviewing the content of movies and videos. I have always cautioned my children about putting drugs in their body, but at times I haven't been as diligent about the things they put in their mind. Transformers has reminded me of how important it is that we remain diligent.

No comments: