Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Intangibles


This week I have been in a series of meetings discussing trends in ministry. Throughout the discussions I kept coming back to matters that I believe are critical and important, but often overlooked. I am afraid that all too often churches can get caught up in the latest trends and best practices and miss the heart of our work.


I entitled this blog intangibles, not because these matters are unimportant, but because they are often overlooked. Here are a few of the issues that I believe are critical to effective local work.

Put an emphasis on prayer. While I was in Africa I got in deep discussion of small groups. I often felt alone in defending congregations who have not yet moved to small groups. I found it interesting that the entire time we were in Nigeria I did not see one small group meet (some churches were small groups, but that was another matter). What I did see was a commitment to prayer. Every morning the church doors opened between 5:00 - 6:00 am for the congregation to come together to pray. It was moving and powerful to see the people of God joined in this act of faith and fellowship.

Restore a passion for Bible study. Like most people in ministry I love books. It is not uncommon to read a couple of new books a week, but a few years ago a group of men encouraged me to study my Bible daily. I am reminded of what V.P. Black told me years ago. He said, "Son, you preach what you are full of." The things you read and study will come out in your preaching and teaching. If that is the case, and I believe it is, then the Bible needs to be the first and most important book in my library.

Get engaged in the lives of others. We change our environment and the world around us - one person at a time. We were created to fellowship and interact with others. Allow your life to touch someone elses. Open your heart to the needs of others. Share your tragedies and triumphs with a world traveling blindly through the night.

Projects, programs and proceedures are all good and necessary to effective and efficient work, but lets not forget the important matters that add depth and substance to our faith.

No comments: