Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Groupthink



This week I was introduced to the Abilene Paradox. The story goes something like this. A family was sitting on the porch playing dominoes when granddad says, "How about we all head out to that little diner in Abilene." His wife says, "sounds good." Despite having reservations because it was a hot day and a 53 mile drive the son says, "O.K., count me in."

Four hours later they arrive back home after a hot drive and a mediocre lunch. The daughter-in law who had been silent says, "Wasn't a very good trip was it." The son then says, "I really didn't want to go to Abilene," and the grandmother says, "I only went because I thought everyone else wanted to go." Finally, the granddad says, "Well, I only suggested it because everyone looked so bored."

Groupthink is the phenomenon of social conformity that plays out when we don't want to be in conflict with what we believe is the group consensus. How often have you seen people try to use groupthink to influence decisions makers. "There are a lot of people who feel the way I do," or "Nobody is going to support that decision..."

God gave us minds and intellect and expects us to use them. We do not have to be disagreeable, or contentious to express a differing opinion. There is real value in open debate and having a dissenting opinion. Even our Supreme Court justices publish the dissenting opinions in a judgment or ruling.

I have a friend who serves on the board of a well-known college. I asked him why he was selected to serve. His answer revealed something very healthy about that institution. "I was selected because I am not afraid to hold a contrary opinion, or to express it if I think the group is wrong.

For far too long our society has preached a doctrine of conformity that has encouraged moral compromise and social decay. Take a minute and make sure your backbone is not made out of rubber, or that your mind isn't so open that your brains fall out. Stand up for what you believe in and have the courage to share those convictions with the world.

By the way, I was thinking of going to Abilene, anyone want to join me?

No comments: