Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Does God Speak to You?

Does God speak to you? I am convinced that he communicates with me through lots and lots of avenues. I realize that is a dangerous position. If I don't listen very carefully, it is likely I will project my feelings, emotions and theology onto God. There are a lot of people who claim to hear the voice of God, but I find it very hard to accept their modern day revelations.

So, what do I mean when I ask if God speaks to you. We know He reveals his will through the Bible, but we are mistaken if we think that is the only way God interacts with people. Have you ever had someone speak truth into your life in a manner in which it was most needed? Have you ever stepped up and addressed a matter that needed to be dealt with when no one else would? In each case the messenger could very well be serving as a minister, or spokesperson for the will of God.

Let me put it a little different way. What kinds of things take place in your life that serve to keep you focused, walking in God's will and calling you back to repentance? I can't always explain the correlation, but it has happened far to many times for it to be an accident. I start straying away from my foundations, drifting amidst a sea of complacency and self-will and sure enough something happens to call me back to God. Through his creation, through his faithful servants, through tragedy, heartache and pain God lets me know that I am not on the right path.

Sometimes we hear people jokingly say, "It's a God thing." It really is! We are mistaken if we think God sits idly by without interacting in our lives. I have no doubt that God speaks to me, the problem is, I am not always listening like I should.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i definitely believes that God talks to us...whether it be with the little inner gut we have or conscience... good friends... and brothers and sisters in Christ...i believe a lot of the times today people mistake God talking to someone with his voice like he did a long time ago to the prophets...We need to realize that God is God and that he can do anything possible and even the impossible...He is capable of sending anyone in time of need to help us